- Learn about the history and philosophy behind Independent Living. Go to https://www.ilru.org/il-history-and-philosophy-orientation-for-il-staff if you prefer video. Use https://www.ilru.org/training/introduction-independent-living-history-philosophy-for-new-cil-personnel-online-course if you prefer an on-line course.
- Go to https://www.ilru.org/training/know-your-resources-orientation-il-net-and-cil-netorg-and-silc-netorg-0 to learn how to navigate training options and our website. Email Technical Assistance Coordination with questions email@example.com
- Meet with each staff person and ask them to tell you about their job, then work with them to update it. Check how they fit in the organizational chart. Ask each staff member what you can expect them to accomplish in the next six months. Then follow up!
- View financial management presentations at https://www.ilru.org/training/internal-controls-for-centers-for-independent-living and https://www.ilru.org/training/applying-your-indirect-cost-rate-centers-for-independent-living Read your own policies and procedures to see if they meet the requirements. Discuss with your financial manager (whether on staff or contract) what financial concerns they have if any. Review the most recent financial statements with them, including budget to actual comparisons.
- Get to know your board. Take the time to talk with each board member to learn what they bring to your board, and why they are involved in Independent Living. Ask who they know in the community that you should meet. This training might also be helpful: https://www.ilru.org/training/supporting-your-cil-board-for-success
- Learn about the other Independent Living centers in your state. You might start with the directory you can find at https://www.ilru.org/projects/cil-net/cil-center-and-association-directory Update your own listing by using the “contact us” form on the website. Then see where the other centers are and find out when they meet, if they do. You can find the associations listed at https://www.ilru.org/projects/cil-net/association-directory or you can check in with another center to learn if your state has an association for centers, and get on their phone/email list.
- Learn about the Statewide Independent Living Council in your state, including who the representative for the Centers is. You can find contact information here: https://www.ilru.org/projects/silc-net/silc-directory You can learn more about how the CILs and SILC work together here: https://www.ilru.org/training/working-together-building-statewide-il-network-through-cil-silc-collaboration
- Complete ACL’s hiring checklist for Executive Directors at https://www.ilru.org/sites/default/files/resources/il_administration/CIL_ED_AOR_Changes_GRANTEE_CHECKLIST.pdf
Eight topics your new CIL executive director needs