A board member or member of a Statewide Independent Living Council should be willing to sign an ethical code of conduct. This document should be part of the board or council member’s orientation and of any annual board or council development/training.
- I will uphold and enforce all laws, rules and regulations that apply to recipients of federal funds and to the Center or SILC.
- I will make decisions that assure the equal access and independent living of people with disabilities and will seek to develop and maintain Independent Living Services.
- I understand that the role of the board is policy making, planning, and appraisal, and I will help to frame policies and plans only after the board/council has consulted those who will be affected by them.
- I will carry out my responsibility, not to interfere with the day to day operations of the Center/SILC, but, together with my fellow board/council members, to hire and supervise a qualified executive director.I
- I recognize that authority rests with the board as a whole and will make no individual promises nor take any private action that may compromise the board.
- I refuse to surrender my independent judgment to special interest or partisan political groups or to use the board/council position for personal gain or for the gain of friends or family.
- In all activities and decisions of this board/council, I will act in respect for all people, and will assure that the rights and dignity of others are upheld.
- I will refer all complaints to the executive director and will act on the complaints from the public only after failure of an administrative solution.
<!– HTML Credit Code for Can Stock Photo–><a href=”http://www.canstockphoto.com”>(c) Can Stock Photo</a>